Saturday, October 25, 2014

5 reasons why you should watch Banting


I've never done a movie review before. I don't usually talk much about movies other than the fact that I watched a movie in Sydney alone and am so proud of it (instead of feeling like a loser about it). I've never attended a movie premier before, what more a local Malay movie. I don't remember the last time I left the movie theatre thinking to myself, "Damn, I must tell the world how good this movie is!" So, there must be something about this movie that makes me want to write about it to make you want to watch it. No, I'm not being paid for this and neither do I have anything to do with the production of this movie. So here are 5 reasons why you should catch Banting:

1. It is local

We should support local films like how you would support your local athletes. Like how you would queue up for One Direction tickets or buy hundreds of dollars worth of passes to watch a sport you become a fan of only for a few days in a year (read: something to do with fast cars). It would mean a lot to us, athletes, artists, musicians alike if the 5 million strong nation shows us their love. That's how a nation grows together. That's how countries produce world-class sportspeople or entertainers. It comes from the support of our own people. (I should run for office, don't you think so?) And who says local products can't be amazing?

2. It is inspirational

The scriptwriter probably googled "inspirational quotes" for his characters and the plot is pretty much predictable but an inspirational movie always has that kick that you need once in a while to push you to do things you've been holding back on. 

Left the theatre feeling more determined to chase my dreams even more than ever.

3. It is relatable

I swear I was immensely terrified by how similar the storyline was to my own life. 

Throughout the movie, I was like, "Omg! This reminds me of my mum!" "Omg! That is so like me!" "Omg! I think they took my life story and made it into this movie!" The freakiest coincidence would be the main character's coach being Japanese and so is mine (gah!).

Thing is, you don't have to be a Malay or a Singaporean or even an athlete to be able to relate to Banting. Anyone with goals and dreams and passion for something is able to identify with the characters in the movie. 

And as audiences, we love movies we can relate to, because sometimes it gives us a sense of hope, like Harry Potter for example, because we never know when Hagrid might appear and tell us that we're actually a witch or a wizard. Lol. We like movies we can relate to especially if the characters remind us of ourselves or of the people around us. Banting will remind you of yourself or someone close to your heart I am pretty sure of that.

4. It is entertaining

I love the fact that the movie is actually funny! I actually teared cuz I was laughing too much and too hard. Perhaps I'm just easily tickled but it's been a long time since I've laughed till I cried watching a movie. The last movie that happened was White Chicks. We all need a light-hearted movie like Banting once in a while. Movie theatres have been invaded by too many dark and 'heavy' movies like Gone Girl, which makes you leave the cinema feeling gloomy. Banting makes you want to skip your way home.

5. It is outstanding

I found plenty of things about the movie outstanding. The cinematography (as though I knew anything about it but there were scenes which made you go, "Wah, fancy editing!" So I'm assuming that's what filmography is- and I'm sorry if it's not and makes me seem ignorant) was pretty cool. The casts were down-to-Earth and talented and so Singaporean (which is essential in making us relate to them). And most importantly, the message it was delivering was close to my heart. That right there would score 98 points.

--
If you knew me very well, I'm not a big fan of Malay movies, but this, this is officially my favourite movie of 2014. And if these 5 reasons doesn't convince you to go watch Banting, then I think you're not a true blue Singaporean or that you don't have goals and dreams. If you're not a Malay and you're wondering why you should watch a Malay movie, I wonder too why I'm a non-Chinese but I watched I Not Stupid and I'm not Hindi but I watched Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. YOU'RE NOT AMERICAN SO WHY DO YOU WATCH HOLLYWOOD MOVIES?

Banting opens in all Cathay and Filmgarde cinemas on 31 October 2014. 


No comments:

Post a Comment